FAQ: Selling drinks at temporary events Macomb County Michigan

Do you need a permit for selling drinks at a temporary event in Macomb County Michigan?  The answer is yes.

Other than a few exceptions, food is considered anything that can be consumed by humans.  This includes beverages and ice.

Even if you are giving away food and beverages you are still required to have food license in Macomb County.

If you require a food license, you can contact your local health department in Macomb County.

You can always contact the Macomb County Health Department with additional questions at 586-469-5236.

Michigan Laws for Non-Profit Bake Sales

A frequent question asked is “Do we need to have a food license to hold a bake sale for our non-profit?”.

The answer is no.  The Food Law of 200 established a new license exemption that affects charitable, religious, fraternal, and other non-profit organizations.

Part of the licensing exemptions covers:

Bake sales or potlucks run by a charitable, religious, fraternal or other non-profit organization and serving only home-prepared goods

This means that your non-profit bake sales is exempt from needing a food license.

Since the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) has the right to determine if you require a license if you feel you fall outside of these guidelines, it’s best to check if you are exempt.

If you have questions, drop them in the comment section or shoot us an email bjr[at]envicareinc.com

Does Michigan Need a Rating Systems for Restaurants?

New York City has a rating system for restaurants.  They are required to post their grades outside their establishment for all to see.  Allegheny County in Pennsylvania has recently established a new rating system for restaurant cleanliness (source).   Is Michigan far behind?

In New York City many of the restaurateurs are complaining about the letter grade system not only because the the grades are posted clearly on their establishment, but because it allows the city the opportunity to give out more fines.  If a restaurant has a letter grade below A, they can expect on average, three inspections per year versus just one.  Of course with each inspection comes the increased likelihood of a fines and violations.

Certainly there are benefits to having a grading/rating system for restaurants.  If a restaurant has a B or C grade, they may see a dip in business.  A patron is more likely to visit an A rated facility.  This gives incentive to the restaurants to strive for cleanliness in order to receive an A grade.  However anytime politics is involved there are unintended consequences:

The new regulations include 14 pages and 27 additional pages of amendments.  Sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Currently in the State of Michigan you can find the inspection reports of a given restaurant on a county website.  Not all counties are posting reports.

But with sites like Yelp, which is managed by the community at large, providing reviews on local establishments, is it even necessary for the State to incur additional expenses to roll out a grading system?

As a restaurant owner or patron do you see a benefit to having a grading system for restaurants?

Photo Credit

Personal Chef Food License Needed?

As a personal chef at home business (arrangements have been made to cook in homes) you are not required to be licensed with the State of Michigan.  You would require a license if you are selling a product.

Business Tip:

Consider purchasing liability insurance or consider being bonded before starting a Personal Chef/Chef at Home business.